Thursday, December 3, 2009

Senior Art Show

I was able to go to the Ryniker-Morrison Gallery only briefly to see the work submitted by Krista Hoyes, Monica Geary, and Cassie Scheidecker.  As I always find art to be interesting and expressive (regardless of the subject matter), I was not disappointed. 

Hoyes uses very vibrant colors, and a good medium with what I believe was satin.  Her work focuses pretty much exclusively on Latin dancing.  Not my cup of tea, but a major function of art is to expose people to ways in which they don't ordinarily think.  Her use of color and motion through her work was stunning.

Geary seemed to be a lot more interested in fashion than traditional art, and seemed to be heavily influenced by the fashion of decades prior.  I found the vintage feel to be well-utilized and not trite.

Scheidecker's art provided plenty for contemplation.  She was apparently diagnosed with arthritis some time ago, and her paintings are an almost surreal visual manifestation of the pain she feels going through her daily life. 

All in all, a pretty good display of art and definitely worth a trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment