Thursday, November 12, 2009

Aerial Angles and Wild Flora

Reading in National Audubon Society Guide to Nature Photography, I was instantly drawn to the section on aerial angles.  For me, everything looks better when viewed from above.  Probably a natural disposition I have as a pilot.  According to Fitzharris, all the "arresting studies in line, form, and pattern that are the hallmarks of Cessna-snapping" can be created simply from a well-positioned tripod and a zoom lens with macro capabilities.

From directly above the subject (where this would have to take place), finite limits to the composition (such as top and bottom) simply don't exist.  Any angle can be achieved after the proper zoom magnification is correctly identified.

The photo on page 186 of the orange sneezeweeds is a good example of something I'd like to achieve.  I'm hoping I can incorporate some of these tips when I plan to shoot a week from this Sunday in a Chesapeake Bay marsh not far from my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment