Monday, September 7, 2009

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Nature Photography

Yes, I confess, I started off reasonably clueless as to how a professional photographer goes about their business.  Armed with only desire and something resembling an eye for the aesthetically pleasing, I have set off on my quest to learn how this all actually happens.

Tim Fitzharris' National Audubon Society Guide to Nature Photography is certainly worth its sticker price for aspiring amateur photographers in part because of the author's detailed checklist on supplies necessary for working in the field.  My previous experiences in the field consisted of taking a can of bug spray, my Kodak point and shoot camera, and possibly five dollars for state park entrance fees.  While I probably will not be shooting for the same duration of time as Fitzharris and can thus ignore some of his equipment recommendations (i.e. walkie-talkie), taking his advice and buying a vest seems like a wise investment.

His tips on Winter Photography were also important for someone who comes from a climate such as Virginia, where extreme winter temperatures are quite uncommon.  As I will be conducting a fair amount of shooting during the changing seasons in Montana, I will have to follow tips such as choosing zippered and well-vented jackets instead of layering up, as the equipment will be heavy enough as it is.  Fitzharris' tip on keeping the small hand-warming chemically-based packets in gloves is a great idea, as well.  I have not given much thought to them since my high school football career finished years ago, but perhaps it is time to reacquaint myself with their inexpensive heating while out in the field for hours at a time.

Finally, I was thrilled to see that Yellowstone National Park is best for shooting in September, which means there are still a few weeks left to get out and see its sublime natural color and the changing of the season in relative peace (as tourists have mostly left for the year).  Reading this section inspired me to plan a weekend trip towards the end of the month and try to catch a colorful morning meadow as the author described.

Reading this book has not only informed me as to what I need to know to further pursue the field of nature photography, but also inspires with its images and gently prods me into action with the promise of becoming better at this craft.  I'm thrilled that it's getting to be about that time where I go out and shoot for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment