Thursday, September 24, 2009

Four potential shots

This weekend, I anticipate shooting four different pictures with short and long exposure time, one with narrow depth of field, and one with wide depth of field.

I am hoping to get a picture of the valley where Billings sits as a wide depth of field shot, primarily because I want a good picture of where I'm now living for loved ones and friends back in Virginia.  A good place to set up for this shot is the Couch up on the rims, not far from the airport.

While I'm up there, I also hope to shoot a short-timed exposure of a Great Lakes Aviation Beechcraft 1900D taking off from the airport.  While I'm trying to shoot more nature than man-made objects, I think capturing the rotation of a beautiful turboprop aircraft moving at quite a swift speed (as the B1900 does at takeoff) will be good practice for hopefully catching birds later on in the semester.  My obsession with aircraft doesn't hurt my desire to photograph them, either.

For a long exposure, I'm planning on capturing a segment of the Yellowstone River down by Laurel on Friday where the water is a little swifter and leaves, sticks, and other assorted pieces move through very rapidly.  After seeing examples of running water and long exposures, I want to try my hand in this.  I also like the thought of shooting the moving of stars, but I'll start with the water.

My narrow depth of field idea is perhaps a little bit trickier than these other ones.  There is a (relatively) tame black rabbit that lives on the side of 24th St. W near the Rimrock Auto Sales dealership that rarely (if ever) moves much.  I think having a narrow depth of field with the traffic and suburban landscape behind blurred may create an interesting effect as I focus on the rabbit in the grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment